CBSS Families Travel the
Magic Reindeer Route
On a Saturday morning early in December, dozens of children and family members from Connections Beyond Sight and Sound Tri-Area Family Group joined CBSS staff members and their families and more than 150 other excited children and family members who were gathering at Dulles International Airport to prepare for a “Fantasy Flight” to the North Pole!
The trip is an annual event sponsored by Children’s Hospice International and United Airlines at Dulles International Airport. For nearly 30 years, children with life-threatening conditions and disabilities have been participating in Fantasy Flight, which offers families a morning of fun and memories.
Each passenger receives an official ticket for a flight to the North Pole. Before boarding the airplane, families get into the holiday spirit as they enjoy music, entertainment, and food. Some children use the pre-boarding time to write letters to Santa, that will be hand-carried to the North Pole.
Once on the plane and all the seatbelts are fastened, the pilot heads to the North Pole via that “Secret Reindeer Route” (which amazingly, requires only about 45 minutes of flying!). After landing, children and families enter “Santa’s workshop at the North Pole” where more entertainment awaits, along with food, fun, games, crafts – and of course, time with Santa, Mrs. Claus, and a host of elves and storybook characters.
Children and families leave the event with photos, gifts, keepsakes from the adventure, and lots of big smiles!
Enjoy the Fantasy Flight 2017
News Coverage & Photo Albums
- Photos by Ashleigh: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5irXV5nxAqyppzk43
- Photos by Tammy: https://www.flickr.com/photos/27757670@N04/albums/72157661512677557
- Photos by Michelle: https://pixlady.shootproof.com/gallery/5818143/ Password: airplane
- Loudoun Times Photos & article by Ed Felker: http://www.loudountimes.com/pdf/2017/1214/mobile/index.html#p=5 ; https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xi4x8hy3zamxa1h/AAAnW75Z7f0ZGgfWj_szmgw1a?dl=0
- Stars & Stripes article by Diana Cahn: https://www.stripes.com/news/a-christmas-journey-sick-children-including-several-from-walter-reed-fly-to-santa-s-workshop-1.502199
- Washington Post article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/for-these-kids-santa-and-a-flight-to-the-north-pole-was-just-20-minutes-away/2017/12/09/b5f8b3e4-dd15-11e7-a841-2066faf731ef_story.html?utm_term=.04a9c8a3ed3f
- United Airlines Fantasy Flight 2017 Facebook page
Photos from CBSS Family
Ben Zeitler and his son, Pierce
Photos from CBSS Staff