Special Education LEADers Training Program
from the Parents’ Place of Maryland
CBSS Collaboration Partner — The Parents’ Place of Maryland (PPMD) — is now accepting applications for their next LEADers Program class.
This program is FREE for family members of students receiving special education services.
Applicants must be family members of children with disabilities who want to develop a better understanding of special education advocacy and to make a difference in the lives of children with disabilities.
The LEADers Program provides parents with the information they need to be informed and active in special education advocacy at the state and local levels. Parents are offered the tools they need to be an active voice for not only their own child, but also for other children with disabilites in their communities.
- Gain knowledge and understanding about special education law;
- Increase understanding of where healthcare and education intersect;
- Increase communication and advocacy skills in health and special education;
- Enhance leadership skills; and,
- Expand their network of colleagues with a similar focus.
“The PPMD class that I participated in was the most informative class that I have ever taken. the resources given to us have helped me tremendously and I often share them when I reach out to other parents who need help in the IEP process.”–— Bonnie, Baltimore Country
- Special education law and regulations
- Understanding tests and measurements
- SMART standards-based IEPs
- 504 plans
- Dipute resolutions
- Discipline under IDEA
- Health and the IEP
- Developing a leadership plan
- Participants must attend all sessions.
- Participants are required to provide feedback on their leadership activities after the training. Why? Because participants are committing to prove change using their newly learned skills.
- Follow-up sessions will be offered after the program ends for interested participants.
Dates of sessions —
- November 19, 2016 (9 am – 4 pm)
- December 10, 2016 (9 am – 4 pm)
- January 7, 2017 (9 am – 4 pm)
- January 28, 2017 (9 am – 4 pm)
- February 18, 2017 (9 am – 4 pm)
- March 11, 2017 (9 am – 4 pm)
- April 1, 2017 (9 am – 4 pm)
Location of sessions —
Maryland School for the Deaf — Columbia Campus
8169 Old Montgomery Road
Columbia, MD 21044
Registration Application —
For more information —
–> Contact Kelly Meissner at Kelly@ppmd.org
PHOTOS FROM the
PHOTOS FROM the